Jovanovich Imaginative Writing Competition
The Jovanovich Imaginative Writing Competition provides an annual award for excellence in poetry, fiction, playwriting, or nonfiction prose to upper division undergraduate students enrolled full-time at the University of Colorado Boulder. Please follow the directions below when submitting your creative writing sample:
- Applicants must be currently enrolled on the Boulder campus as full-time students. Good academic standing is required.
- Applicants must currently be either a junior or a senior, graduating no earlier than the spring of the next academic year (one year after the award cycle in which they submitted an application).
- Applicants must either have a declared major in the English Department (Literature or Creative Writing track), or have taken/be enrolled in a creative writing course in the current academic year.
- One (only) of the following: three poems, one short story, a piece of creative non-fiction, or a segment of a stage or screenplay.
- All creative works must be titled and formatted as they would appear in publication.
- No extraneous marks, grades, names or other identifying information should be included.
- Insert a header with the name of the award in the upper right corner of each page.
- Insert page numbers (e.g. page 1 of 5) in the lower right corner of each page.
- Save your submission as a PDF titled: YourLastName_Jovanovich
- College of Arts & Sciences
- Supplemental Questions
- Are you currently either a junior or senior?
- Is your expected graduation date SPRING 2020 or later?
- Have you declared an English Major, or have you taken/are currently enrolled in a creative writing course?
- Submit a creative writing sample, titled and formatted as they would appear in publication.