CU Boulder First Generation Scholarship
First-year Prospective Students: The CU Boulder First Generation Scholarship was established to encourage participation in higher education by first generation college students who have significant financial need. A first generation college student is one whose parents have never earned a bachelor’s degree or higher.
To be considered for the First Generation Scholarship, applicants must:
- Be a first generation student (neither parent nor student has received a bachelor’s degree or higher)
- Be a newly admitted first-year undergraduate student
- Be a Colorado resident
- Demonstrate significant financial need by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or submitting the Colorado Application for State Financial Aid (CASFA) , along with requested financial aid documents
- Priority is given to those who apply by March 15; if funds remain, applications submitted after this date may be considered. Award offers are not guaranteed.
For consideration, students must:
- Complete the CU Boulder General Scholarship Application by the deadline
- Have a completed FAFSA/CASFA
- Demonstrate financial need as determined by the FAFSA/CASFA
- Complete the supplemental questions for this scholarship opportunity
If selected to receive a scholarship, recipients will receive $4000/year for up to 10 semesters or 150 credit hours, which ever comes first.
Additionally, during the first year, recipients will be required to participate in the First Generation Program. The First Generation Program is dedicated to supporting first-generation students with innovative programming that amplifies their diverse voices and builds community at CU Boulder.
- Supplemental Questions
- Family has many different definitions and it is different for each person. It is not just blood relatives but also those who have had a deep/emotional impact on your life. Describe your "family" to us, particularly those who make up your support system.
- Embarking on a college education can be overwhelming. Tell us how you are prepared for the challenges and what still concerns you.
- I understand that I must have a completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Colorado Application for State Financial Aid (CASFA) and demonstrate significant financial need to be considered.
- If selected to receive this scholarship, I understand that during my first year I will be required to participate in the First Generation Program to continue receiving the scholarship.