Dick Shahan UCB Undergraduate Writing Competition
The Dick Shahan UCB Undergraduate Writing Competition is open to all currently enrolled University of Colorado Boulder undergraduate students, whether full-time or part-time, who have declared an English major or minor. Please follow the directions below when submitting your material:
- The competition is open to undergraduate students who have declared a major or minor in English.
- Applicants must be graduating no earlier that the spring of the next academic year (one year after the award cycle in which they submitted an application).
- You may submit a piece you wrote in the past, so long as it follows the submission requirements detailed below.
- Submit between 12 and 20 pages (typed, double-spaced) of prose.
- Applicants may choose from these genres of writing: realistic or experimental fiction, fantasy, satire, regular or creative non-fiction, or critical essay or article (with a research-and-appropriate-notes component). Entries will be in prose form only; no poetry, screenplays,
scripts, or multimedia works are eligible. Entries will be in prose form only; no poetry, screenplays, scripts, or multimedia works are eligible. All subject matter should be in good taste.
- Insert a header that includes the name of the award, your first initial and last name in the upper right corner of each page (e.g. J. Doe, Shahan CW Competition).
- Insert page numbers (e.g. page 1 of 5) in the lower right corner of each page.
- Save document as PDF titled: YourLastName_ShahanUG
- Schools, Colleges, Departments
- College of Arts & Sciences
- Supplemental Questions
- Are you currently enrolled in an English course (prefix ENGL)?
- Is your expected graduation date SPRING 2023 or later?
- Upload your submission as outlined in the description.